Current Alphas will have a single felt wiper pad. There was consideration of requiring a dual wiper with felt and scotch pad. We need to determine if we will need the scotch pad or not.
Crease facing down was working OK as well, frayed a bit more but does great at cleaning the sides of the nozzle as well as the tip which is important during auto calibration as the side of the nozzle touches the cube.
@logan I chose not to load mine in that way because it shreds the pad pulling the nozzle along the closed web weave but if it works better that way it seems worth it. Only issue is the life of that pad, no objection from me. I did double up my pads tho so that the pad is a bit more dense, that could be part of the improvement for us both.
I received a blue pad this week and installed it with the crease facing down as suggested. I have had a lot more probe fails since installation. Part of this may be because of the fold makes a channel that the nozzle tip lands in and may not be cleaning the tip as well.
I am currently using one of the un-upgraded alphas. I was able to get it in and am aware that there is a new wiper pad.
Another thing to note is that we may want to consider a way to store them because the 2 I had were pretty stuck together, which could have been causing one fo them to be a bit stiffer.
The pads seem better but still not always getting the end of the nozzle clean, and with only fractions of time available to pick/scrub those bits off before you can no longer reach or see the nozzle, I basically scrub the nozzle by hand before every print.
Q11 is back in pieces for OHAI so I wont have any further feedback for this until maybe mid next week.
The POLYDISSOLVE (pva didn't work) treated wiper pads going around now have been soaked in a solution that was too thick and thus the pads are harder to install (my bad), I am mixing a solution right now that should be thinner. Some of the pads may have not been completely dry when I sent them around and that is probably why you have found some stuck together (also, my bad). I will have a new round ready for y'all by Wednesday morning next week, along with the measurements of the ideal solution ratio. The pads are cut 25mm by 90mm, to be folded in half when installed. This measurement is for the newer wiper mount design so they will work best if updated.
Nozzle Heat test:
Original test, this polyester/abs wiper pad was pressed up against the nozzle at the writen temp for 5-7 seconds:
New Wiper Pad Tests UNTREATED, held against nozzle for 20 seconds:
*This is the recommended wiping temp.
*The black material you see is from the black Polyflex that was melting out the nozzle upon the heat up, not burnt pad.
*The material begins to melt at this temp.
*This temp caused the wiper pad material to melt and adhere to the nozzle. There was no smoke or flame. There was a light burning hair odor. The material on the nozzle was easily wiped off.
@tutley and I set one of the white wiper pads on fire, it caught fire and degraded into ashy material. Combustibility seems only to occur when it is placed in contact with open flame.
I will be repeating all of this with a Polydissolve treated pad, coming soon.