Page MenuHomeAleph Objects Inc

ecostrip blades excessive wear with solid core wire
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Production is havingissues with wire stripping after cutting solid core wire. I looked at the blades and they seem to be wearing away at the vertex. @logan mentioned we have another stripping machine that we can use for solid core to save wear on the main machine.

Event Timeline

kent created this task.Feb 7 2019, 9:45 AM
logan moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.Feb 7 2019, 11:45 AM
logan added subscribers: guadalupe, bowman.

I also found that the gauge settings for the solid core programs were set incorrectly, they were set for 24, 10, or 18 AWG vs the 20 AWG actual. I'm not sure how this could accelerate blade wear but seemed worth considering so I went through and corrected them all.
I talked with @draubach and @guadalupe about working closely with who ever will be processing wire next, likely Monday. I'd like to try a few of the manuals suggestions for improving strip quality/repeatability. I'd like to take a closer look at, incise diameters used, pull off speed and acceleration, way-back, and check blade calibration.
My hope is that we can compensate for the blade wear in order to use these blades longer. However, I still think it is worth considering bringing the ES9300 back out from storage to be used only for cutting solid core wire to length. The reason for this is we still have several brand new sets of blades for it that are cheaper than those used for the 9380 and already paid for, so it could be used while saving the 9380's blades and retaining that accuracy.
@bowman thoughts?
@guadalupe was thinking the bench nearest the shipping door in Pilot could accommodate that unit without hindering work space too much, however she did voice concerns regarding having assemblers lift the machine out from under the bench.

bowman added a comment.Feb 7 2019, 1:35 PM

@logan, using the 9300 sound great. Lets go ahead and pull out and set it up to use for solid core only. Lets put a sign on it stating to use for solid core ONLY.
After talking with @guadalupe , she is going to set up a spot on top of the bench (same bench you mentioned) to place the cutter and then it can be pulled forward to use and then slid back when not in use.
Since we only use the one solid core wire, we can schedule production so that it will only require wires to be cut a couple times a month.

logan claimed this task.Feb 7 2019, 1:56 PM
logan moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.
logan triaged this task as Normal priority.
logan added a subscriber: tomc.

I've put in a request with @tomc to keep an eye out for the 9300 when he is in the storage containers, when he locates it, I'll pull it into MER to calibrate and program the needed lengths.

logan moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.Feb 12 2019, 2:32 PM
logan removed logan as the assignee of this task.

@draubach will be keeping an eye out for issues with the ES9380, none reported lately while cutting 16 AWG wire.

The 9300 was pulled from storage and recommissioned. To summarize the work performed:

  1. Surface rust was observed on many internal and external parts, every effort was made to remove this in addition to any grime, dirt, dust, and stripped wire ends. An entire sample of filament was also removed from inside the unit.
  2. Replaced dust filter.
  3. Replaced feed rollers
  4. Removed drive belts, cleaned dust and wire plugs out of pulleys and re-tensioned belts.
  5. Reinstalled stock right side safety guard
  6. calibrated and programmed the needed lengths

I delivered the unit to Pilot, whoever is cutting will need to make MER aware of any issues with it. @guadalupe please ensure lengths are checked for the first run of each programmed length, just to be sure. I left all of the feed speeds as slow as possible to avoid slipping of the PTFE insulation.
Any issues please post here so everything is tracked.
Thanks!

oliver moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.Mar 11 2019, 12:44 PM
MikeR closed this task as Resolved.Apr 12 2019, 11:14 AM
MikeR claimed this task.
MikeR added a subscriber: MikeR.

Closing ticket since we have not had any other reports. We can re-open this ticket if the issue shows back up.