These instructions are written for use on Debian Jessie. Other Linux distros may find it useful too.
- Install necessary software
- These packages are needed to do the recording and convert between file formats
- Run this command in the terminal: sudo apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop libav-tools
- Launch it through Applications Menu -> Multimedia -> RecordMyDesktop
- Select what to record:
- To record single application use "Select Window"
- To record a certain region drag across the desktop previewer
- To record entire workspace you don't need to do anything special
- Click record
- Do the thing that you want to record
- To stop the recording:
- In the main Debian toolbar panel (next to sound or notifications) there should be a new grey square icon, left click on it
- Wait for recording to be saved into a temporary location
- Save the recording to an appropriate place
- Click "Save As"
- leave the extension as the default (.ogv)
- Watch the output video to verify you recorded what you wanted
- Convert to a .GIF - this provides interoperability benefits (when posting online) at the cost of increased file size
- Launch a terminal in the directory where the output file is saved
- Run the below command. You must replace the file names with what you actually want to use
- avconv -i input-file-name.ogv output-file-name.gif
- Post your file all over the internet!